Ether Snakes [Finished, Critique?]

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Sunstrider
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Ether Snakes [Finished, Critique?]

Post by Sunstrider »

First Entry - The Ether Snake

General Description

Ether Snakes are one of the largest species that are commonly found by Magi today, rivaling the leviathans in size. Found wherever there is fire, their main source of nutrition, a full grown Ether Snake must consume at least a hundred candle's worth of flame a day, or a blaze the size of a small campfire, to keep their fiery manes and tails alive. Because they are cold blooded, if an Ether Snake goes without 'eating' for too long, then they run the risk of dying due to hypothermia. Regardless of this, they are often found beside Magi because of their sheer size, and their ability to float by using air-filled sacks inside their body.

Egg Description

This egg radiates an inner warmth, as though a fire were contained within.

Appearance: Color can vary from purple to red to white, or any combination thereof. The egg would likely have a glow effect similar to the color of the egg. Eggs can have any pattern the artist desires.

Hatchling Description

Your hatchling has finally emerged from its egg. He makes a great game of whirling around your head until you're dizzy. He is already beginning to grow, and soon he'll be about at eye level with you. The warmth your Ether Snake had as an egg was not without reason - he appears to have a mane of fire! Upon further observation, though, you note that the mane doesn't appear to burn anything, as long as the hatchling is complacent. You realize that the hatchling appears to lack a mouth, and instead has eight holes, four per side, where a mouth should be. After a moment more of circling around you, the Ether Snake slithers off through the air over to the nearby campfire. The fire seems to move towards the creature, and some of the embers disappear through the holes. How strange.

Appearance: Ether Snake hatchlings have serpentine bodies, just like their adult counterparts. They have a large mane down their neck, a small tuft of flame on their tail, and a larger ember on their back, about where the division between body and tail would be. As stated earlier, their fires and bodies can be any color, although usually the color of an Ether Snake's fire is determined by the type of fire it eats. Hatchlings have four long, spike-like appendages down their body, which are sharp on the face-end of the spikes and dull on the tail end, allowing the spines to fold against the Snake's body with ease. They have eyes that glow the same color as their fire, and as stated in the description, lack mouths, but instead have four holes per side to suck fire into their bodies.

Adult Description

The moon is high, and yet you can see a bright flame circling your window. Every once in awhile the creature stops to jab the window with his muzzle, trying to nose his way into your room to devour your braziers. His hunger for fire seems to be nearly insatiable now, and he spends a good amount of time away from the Keep, searching for forest fires to leech from. Although at times he is far away, you never worry for his well-being: He is easily one of the largest creatures in the Keep, nearly thirty feet long with a six foot circumference around his long, sinuous body. On top of that, his leaping mane glows brighter every day as summer approaches and temperatures continue to rise. Even so, he can still carry you easily, so long as you watch the six bladed spikes running down each side.

Appearance: Like hatchling, but larger. Now has five feeding holes per side, and six side spikes.
Last edited by Sunstrider on September 16th, 2009, 8:49:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Zovesta
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Re: Ether Snakes [Still in the Works]

Post by Zovesta »

It's good, I can't wait for the rest! XD
There are many different variations of me. Some say that each person has a unique one. Sometimes I will be closed, sometimes open to show the bones behind the wall. Sometimes I am kind, sometimes I am sinister. What am I? (PM answer)
Moth, eggs by Horsegirl901
Potion by Munin

Auction
QB Sale
LTB

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”