Silver's Entry - Sonney (Magic Hedgehog :D)

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Silverbangle
CreaturesTrade

Silver's Entry - Sonney (Magic Hedgehog :D)

Post by Silverbangle »

Feel I may as well give this a shot ^^

These are based on many hedgehog myths and folklores, particularly the Isle of Mann tales of the Arkan Sonney. I shortened it to Sonney, though, partly to stop it sounding so much like the Arkenian Kitsune xD

I may update with concept sketches, but they're basically little hedgehogs x3

So tell me what you think, please, and feel free to give me crits! ^^

I know that this is far too long! I need to take a hacksaw to it at some point ^^;

-----

General: Resembling pygmy hedgehogs in appearance, a Sonney is a furry little forest-dwelling spirit with a carpet of sharp quills covering its back. The placid and sensible nature of the Sonneys makes them very popular among fairykind, and one may occasionally witness these tiny sparks of light dancing and flitting around their Sonney friends, should one chance upon a bluebell woodland on a Summer's evening. It is said that the Sonneys prefer to inhabit such places because they are capable, by some secret rite, of forging liquid silver from the dew on a bluebell's petals and catching it in an acorn cup. Legend goes on to suggest that this silver is used by a male to decorate his spines with in order to attract a mate. He will apply the silver to his flattened spines in swirls and patterns, then stand in a patch of moonlight and hum while raising and lowering his painted spines so that they catch the light and shine as he waves them. The more complex the patterns and performance, the more likely he is to impress a female. If he succeeds, a female will approach and perform a shuffling, clumsy courtship dance with him - they are not the most elegant of creatures, and have only little legs! They defend themselves by rolling into a tight, prickly ball when faced with danger, protecting their furry bodies and leaving only a barrier of raised spines exposed. Alternatively, if a Sonney rolls around the leaf litter while curled in this fashion, tasty morsels sometimes become impaled upon the spikes, to be snacked upon later. The squeal of delight made by a Sonney who has just plucked one of its favourite mushrooms from its back is a sound to melt the coldest heart. Indeed, they are rumoured to love these mushrooms so much that they may even be persuaded to share their liquid silver with a passing traveller who presents them with such a delicious treat. This is the quickest way to earn the trust of this shy little creature; a good idea, since they make surprisingly valuable partners for a magi. Sonneys can sense dark intentions, and will curl into a protective ball if they do, alerting the magi to be on his or her guard. They are also said to make their partners very lucky, and magis who befriend a Sonney may find silver pennies lying around the Keep that they are certain they didn't leave there!

Egg: You're having trouble keeping track of this tiny brown egg - it keeps rolling away from you.

Hatchling: With a start, the newborn squeaks and curls into a frightened ball as soon as it sees you. You gently cup your hands around it and lift it up, noting with surprise that the quills sprouting from its skin are soft and flexible, not sharp and bristly as you were expecting. You murmur softly to the hatchling and slowly it uncurls, revealing wrinkly pink skin, and peers at you through beady black eyes. It snuffles this way and that and catches the scent of the mushrooms in your pocket. Rearing up onto wobbly hind legs, it squeaks in excitement at the thought of food - promptly surprising itself and toppling over backwards into the palms of your hands.

Adult: The dusty sunset warms the forest, gilding the branches and catching the tips of the ferns that brush against you as you pick your way through the trees towards the splash of colour that is the bluebell carpet. Crouching down by an ancient oak at the edge of the bluebells, you hum a merry tune and place a handful of mushrooms on the ground before you. Within moments a curious, furry little nose peeks out from the flowers, shortly followed by a plump body crested with deceptively thin spines - though they may look flimsy, you know from experience that they have long since lost the springy softness of childhood and are now sharp enough to pierce skin. They are laid flat, however, as the Sonney ambles towards you, clearly not in a hurry. Adult Sonneys are rarely in a hurry anywhere. They take things steady, think carefully before acting, and are generally contended little souls who see no use in haste. It would be easy to assume that they are mundane creatures, but you can see a certain wisdom glinting in those dark little eyes, an intelligence and an interest in the world around it that belies the Sonney's simple demeanour. The Sonney pauses to investigate your offering of mushrooms, selects a particularly choice specimen and sits back on its haunches, leaning leisurely against a toadstool to nibble at the gift.
Last edited by Silverbangle on September 15th, 2009, 7:08:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.:~:. ImageImageImageImage .:~:.
.:~:. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage .:~:.
cyberus151
CreaturesTrade

Re: Silver's Entry - Sonney

Post by cyberus151 »

Those are Epic, and EPICALLY long
Hey, I'm an ancient user. Ignore my profile and such, too tired to update, haha.
~ImageImageImageImage~
Dracona
CreaturesTrade

Post by Dracona »

Awww :t-hugs:
Little Ones:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trading female Savannah Alphyn for male ^
Merkwerkee
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Earth
CreaturesTrade

Post by Merkwerkee »

i liek it. its kyoot

The Shattered Compass
I do free CSS
Sig Set By Incandescence
Silverbangle
CreaturesTrade

Post by Silverbangle »

cyberus151 wrote:Those are Epic, and EPICALLY long
Yeah I didn't realise how much I'd written.. I may have to cut chunks out of it D: I'll look for bits that I've sort of repeated in the General and Adult sections and see if I can crop it down. Thanks for pointing that out ^^;

they are only leetle hedgepigs, I didn't need to write so much about them LOL xD
Silverbangle
CreaturesTrade

Re: Silver's Entry - Sonney (Magic Hedgehog :D)

Post by Silverbangle »

daily bump; crits are very welcome! ^^

I'm thinking of bits to cut out - I don't know if I'll have to yet, because I dunno if it counts against us yet to have a too-long entry, but I think if it needs cutting then the mating ritual will probably be chopped out.. and that's my favourite bit ;_; but I guess it is kinda unnecessary.

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”