Thy Gargoyle & sea serpent - criticism welcome

Users were given the opportunity to design a creature and have it released.
Tyriagris
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Thy Gargoyle & sea serpent - criticism welcome

Post by Tyriagris »

Egg: Image

Two small, strong wings in a slightly darker tone than the shell are breaking out of this heavy, stone-like egg.

Hatchling: Image

You watch the silver shell break and a small creature crawling out of it. This baby often climbs up walls or you find it sitting on a stone and watching his surroundings. You expected this little thing to be clumsy, but it's using his wings, practising to fly.

Adult: Image

The little creature has fully grown to a slinky, impressive adult. Its wings are now strong enough to lift it up and at sunset, it enjoys flying through the last sunbeams. During the night, it often sits motionless on the roof of your house, watching the quiet, sleeping creatures around and at full moon you can hear it purr when the moonlight hits it.

General:

Gargoyles are the guardians of the humans' houses. During the day they're hiding in shady places, waiting for the sun to set. At night, they fly to the roofs, watching all passing creatures. If they're trained enough, they can be taught to distinguish awaited visitors from unsolicited ones and to attack the latter.
Female gargoyles are very aggressive if their eggs are threatened, so it's pretty difficult to get one.
Also they are very loyal and fast, persistant flyers so if they're raised in love they're able to carry Magis wherever they want.

Egg: Image

This egg has a lightblue shell ornated with a thin, long fin all over its side.

Hatchling: Image

The shell cracked and a small, serpent-like hatchling looks up to you. It lets out light bubbling sounds and it's mostly active on rainy days, when it playfully jumps into the puddles, splashing around and making strange, content noises.

Adult: Image

The sea serpent has finally become a strong agile adult with large, translucent fins. Often you find it swimming in a nearby lake, sometimes just the backfin is visible, sometimes it's completely under water. It spends most of the day diving into the lake's ground and hunting the fish.

General:

Sea serpents are rarely seen since they live in underwater cliffs and only have to surface once a day. They're able to control drifts and the strongest serpents in the herd have control over the wind, so if a ship sinks, it's absolutely possible that a sea serpent created a deadly storm where the ship sailed in.
Years ago, wide parts of the sea were avoided by sailors since some ships had escaped the drifts and told horrible stories about the sea serpents there and now only the bravest captains are daring to sail the 'old ways'.
Last edited by Tyriagris on September 16th, 2009, 9:22:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
cyberus151
CreaturesTrade

Re: Thy Gargoyle (Competition Entry)

Post by cyberus151 »

Those look remarkable, but i think i should tell you, A Gargoyle is a rain spout, but in some cases it is a Statue, i just thought i should say that
Hey, I'm an ancient user. Ignore my profile and such, too tired to update, haha.
~ImageImageImageImage~
Tyriagris
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tyriagris »

cyberus151 wrote:Those look remarkable, but i think i should tell you, A Gargoyle is a rain spout, but in some cases it is a Statue, i just thought i should say that
yeah, I know, but sometimes they're classified as 'mythical creatures' and so I thought I could draw one xD
cyberus151
CreaturesTrade

Post by cyberus151 »

Well it still does look great, but the egg description is a bit long for a egg description
Hey, I'm an ancient user. Ignore my profile and such, too tired to update, haha.
~ImageImageImageImage~
Duzlla
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Post by Duzlla »

I like your Gargoyle, the hatchling is cute ^^
Tyriagris
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tyriagris »

Duzlla wrote:I like your Gargoyle, the hatchling is cute ^^
Duzlla
CreaturesTrade

Post by Duzlla »

It look like a small stone goat ^^
Arimermaid
CreaturesTrade

Post by Arimermaid »

I love your sprites! So adorable! :crazy:
I love snakes, none for you!
http://magistream.com/user/Arimermaid ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage All clicking regardless of which site it comes from is very much appreciated!
Tyriagris
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tyriagris »

Arimermaid wrote:I love your sprites! So adorable! :crazy:
really? I'm not satisfied with it xD I don't love any of my drawings..
Varg
CreaturesTrade

Post by Varg »

I like this one. I like the concept of it a little more than the pixels to be completely honest (aside from the egg which I do quite like) but the concept itself is quite nice.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Design a Creature Contest”