Facebook: Needed or Not?

This forum is for serious discussions of any kind.

Moderator: Hall of Speakers Moderators

Can you last 1 month without Facebook?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 211

mulan
Member of The Dark Brotherhood
CreaturesTrade

Re: Facebook: Needed or Not?

Post by mulan »

my facebook has a problem heree, i dont know what to do noww *****sigh***

please mine in my keep^^
http://magistream.com/user/mulan/MY-CREATURES
ImageI'm a Sheep! thank you for the hug^^

Sheep are righteous, honest, shy, artistic, creative, gentle, generous, understanding
Sometimes they can be moody, a worrier, a complainer, and or too soft.
Tekla
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tekla »

So to all the people out there, can you give me your opinion, do you think Facebook is needed in modern life, or not?
I think it's a nice way to contact faraway relatives/friends who you would otherwise not see, but you could also talk to them over the phone, so...on the fence.

I have a facebook but I don't really use it; I don't have much reason to, since I typically have nothing I want to share. I'm an extremely private person. I also don't particularly care to be asked questions I'm not ready to answer and neither do I really care about relationship/latest meal/etc nonsense. (I like serious discussion/debate...don't really do the small talk thing.)
mulan wrote:my facebook has a problem heree, i dont know what to do noww *****sigh***

-snip-
Start here: https://www.facebook.com/help/185747581553788 (or at the FAQ to which that message links you).

Under "my personal facebook account is disabled":
If your Facebook account has been disabled, you'll see a disabled message when you try to log in. If you don't see this message then you're probably experiencing a login issue. Get help logging in.

We disable Facebook accounts that don't follow the Facebook Terms. Some violations include:

Continued prohibited behavior after receiving a warning or multiple warnings from Facebook
Unsolicited contact with others for the purpose of harassment, advertising, promoting, dating or other inappropriate conduct
Use of a fake name
Impersonation of a person or entity, or other misrepresentation of identity
Posting content that doesn't follow the Facebook Terms

Please review the Facebook Statement of Rights and Responsibilities to learn more about our policies. If you think your account was disabled by mistake you can submit an appeal.
(bold/color mine)
So you violated some facebook policy(ies)/term(s)...you need to submit an appeal to try and get your account reinstated.

ImageImageImage
~
ImageImageImageImageImage
--
"Oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire!"
mulan
CreaturesTrade

Post by mulan »

yes, i use fake name on facebook & facebook want my ID................its risky...

do you guys use real name on facebook ????
please mine in my keep^^

Sheep are righteous, honest, shy, artistic, creative, gentle, generous, understanding
pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

You have already been told to do what to do here and here.

Facebook is not out to steal your identity. Facebook is not going to do anything bad. There may be users on Facebook that do things like that, but there are many more that do not.

That's what security settings are for. You don't have to have much personal information displayed on the site. I do use my real name. I have friends and family who choose not to display their birthdays (a very important piece of information if someone is going to steal your identity). I don't know of anyone who has their phone and address listed (and if they do, a friend must request the information as it isn't publicly displayed). If they need to share that information with someone it's done using a private message, not a public post.

It is also in how you use yor account. I have a Facebook and a twitter, but they aren't linked together. Most sites that want you to log in using Facebook give the option to not use Facebook and create a separate account. That let's you keep your Facebook more private. I only use twitter here to grow my creatures, never Facebook so I keep them separate. Yes someone might be able to tie the two together, but it isn't because I crosspost between the two.

I am not very vocal on things that are hot-button topics like political or religious beliefs so I'm less likely to be noticed. I only friend people I know in real life, not random people from the Internet. It helps me keep a lower profile so I'm less likely to be noticed.
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
mulan
CreaturesTrade

Post by mulan »

pegasi1978 wrote:You have already been told to do what to do here and here.

Facebook is not out to steal your identity. Facebook is not going to do anything bad. There may be users on Facebook that do things like that, but there are many more that do not.
Ahhhh, Facebook is not out to steal my identity........really ???? Really ???? Sorry I ask for make sure of that ^^

I use Facebook, adding people to play game ......that's all. But someone on Facebook report me, so my Facebook account has a problem ( not their business at all to do like that.)
please mine in my keep^^

Tekla
MagiStream Donor
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Tekla »

Facebook has never been out to steal anyone's identity. ^^

If you want to keep using facebook, you're going to have to use your real name, assuming they'll reenable your account.
But someone on Facebook report me, so my Facebook account has a problem ( not their business at all to do like that.)
Yes, they do; anyone violating their terms can be reported for it by anyone. It's just like if you broke a rule here - anyone could report you for it, whether they were directly involved or not. ^^
do you guys use real name on facebook ????
Yes - but a better question is why wouldn't you? o: FB is a service to get in touch with people you know - people who already know your name - so it makes no sense to use a fake name. XD (Unless you enjoy confusing them, haha)

ImageImageImage
~
ImageImageImageImageImage
--
"Oh! My feet of fire! My burning feet of fire!"
mulan
CreaturesTrade

Post by mulan »

i think using real name on facebook is dangerous because it's so public, so i use fake name

well, if someone find me & come to my home ??? when i use real name on facebook..............brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
please mine in my keep^^

pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

That's where your account settings come in to play. If you are that nervous about it then you can set it so only people who already have certain pieces of information about you, i.e. your name, email address or phone number, can find you.

Also, if you're that worried about somebody using your Facebook account to find you and come to your home maybe it's better you're not on Facebook.
2024 Crystalwings, Diamond Koi, horse-y things and Cypheles Crystalwings please!| Wishlist in profile | Avatar by Munin!
mulan
CreaturesTrade

Post by mulan »

pegasi1978 wrote:That's where your account settings come in to play. If you are that nervous about it then you can set it so only people who already have certain pieces of information about you, i.e. your name, email address or phone number, can find you.
*****grab a cookie & crunch crunch, munch munch******

hmmm..........ok, i'll set it like that ^^

let me ask again, facebook is not going to steal my ID, right ??? I wanna make sure about thiss (i wanna ask this a million times to make sure about this ^^ ))
please mine in my keep^^

pegasi1978
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by pegasi1978 »

No Facebook will not steal your id. Once they have verified it, they delete the data containing the copy you uploaded.

Return to “Hall of Speakers”